CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, February 22, 2010

Rylie's Turn

A few days ago I posted Sophisms, dedicated to Sophie’s often endearing and sometimes maddening quirks and habits. Naturally, Rylie’s list must follow. She is perhaps the quirkiest, craziest, funniest and wildest toddler I know (but we all believe this of our children). There is no end to the list I could compile, so I will pick just a few that come to mind. Rylie turned two last November and her vocabulary continues to increase, much to our amusement. Looking at her now I can still catch a few vestiges of the baby she used to be, but I mostly see glimpses of the child she will become. Within a single day she typically runs the gambit of every possible toddler emotion. She is leaving behind the simple comforts of babyhood in favor of that imaginative and magical place known as childhood. And I can only walk with her some of the way. Ultimately, it is her journey to make. Parenthood is bittersweet, isn't it? So without further ado, here is Rylie’s list.


  • Randomly telling me “I love you so very much, Mommy” in her precocious, little sing-song voice.
  • Referring to herself in the third person. Something like this, “Rydie wants a snack” or “Rydie loves ponies, Mommy.” Our little egomaniac.
  • Saying, “Tank You Welcome,” instead of “thank you,” or “you’re welcome.”
  • Reminding me “Sophie just a baby, Mommy” when I am frustrated. Out of the mouths of babes, right?
  • Bouncing. Constantly.
  • Theatrically extending her arm, pointing to me, narrowing her eyes, and saying, “No, Mommy” when she hears me say something she doesn’t like. This usually earns her a time out.

  • The pep talk she gives to herself when confronted with something she fears, “Not scary, not scary. Rydie not scared.”
  • Concerning herself with the comfort and happiness of those around her. I am most proud of her compassion for others, be they big or small, young or old, furry or feathered, real or make believe. If you affect sadness, look out. Rylie will make it her mission to comfort you.
  • Sitting alone with a book in her lap, reading aloud to herself.
  • Making me scrambled eggs or soup in her play kitchen and then admonishing me when I forget to blow on the soup, which of course is very hot, how silly of me to forget.
  • Loving her toy babies; rocking them to sleep, feeding them, and putting them in the occasional time out spot. “Dat not nice to Rydie,” she scolds.
  • Helping me with housework. She will load the dryer with wet clothes or hand me the clean plates out of the dishwasher. And when finished she will say, “Thank you, Mommy for helping Rydie. Good job, Mommy.”
  • Her typical morning attire: tutu, rain boots, and tiara with pajamas.
  • Peeling the paper from her crayons. This is her particular obsession.
  • Pouting, the newest drama in the Webb house and she is quite a pro. She will loudly sigh, cross her arms over her chest, and flounce down on the floor. We believe she may have received her inspiration from the Tinkerbell movies, if you are familiar with that fairy’s exaggerated sulk.


No comments: