CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Clutter Confessions

I am going to step out on a limb and reveal something I wish I could just keep to myself. It hurts my pride to reveal a weakness and a specific voice in my head is telling me not to. You may know that voice, too. Everyone has one. Mine sounds a little something like this. Don’t tell anyone! Everyone will know how inept you are. What will they think? Greg also shares this opinion, but I am choosing to ignore them both, possibly against my better judgment. Here I go.

I suck at household management.

There. I said it.

Short of boozing your breakfast, it might be the most unforgivable of SAHM sins, and it’s mine. I own it.

Now before you get the wrong impression, please note that my house is
NOT a pit of despair. It is a nice house, and decently clean, if a bit cluttered and in perpetual need of mopping. My problem is the organizational aspects of home management, like menu planning, scheduled cleaning, paperwork, etc. I recognize that I am perhaps over reacting, since we do not live in squalor and my house is usually straightened. But I am constantly feeling a couple of steps behind, and I want to change. I see other moms who seem to have this all together and I want in on the secret. I myself used to be one but I somehow lost the skills. I want back in the club.

Before my second pregnancy, I was on top of things. I cooked every evening and I cleaned every day. I was efficient and organized. I had a routine and I stuck to it. And then I got pregnant with baby number two, and all of those skills? I haven’t seen them since.

The strange thing about this is that I am typically a very organized person. I have always been obsessed with lists and I have at least one list prepared on any given day. When I worked, my office was usually neat. As a student, I was meticulous. I assumed that when I chose to stay home my organizational skills would merge with my new life, but alas, I find myself still struggling. I managed to make it with one baby, but this second child has me begging for mercy.

And yet I do have periods of supremely organized living in which my house is sparkling, my clutter is put away, my junk drawers are purged, my meals are planned, my paperwork is sorted. The house will be a veritable oasis, a perfect model of organization.

And then the inevitable occurs.

We begin a super busy weekend. The kind where we are rushing breakfasts and bath times, stuffing diaper bags, searching for cell phones, ironing clothes, loading strollers, changing diapers; just trying to make it out the door with two unwilling babies and an arsenal of baby paraphernalia. The kind where we leave early (though ten minutes past the time we should have left) and get home late, too tired to pick up the chaos of the morning. Too exhausted to properly unload the inevitable baby baggage we brought back home with us.

The next day, we do it all over again.

Two or three consecutive days of this will do me in every time. The clutter builds, and so does my stress level. I am soon overwhelmed and overtired. And these babies, they are so ridiculously selfish! My children actually believe themselves entitled to regular meals, baths, naps, and supervised playtime. Believe it or not, they even forbid that I forsake them to take care of my household duties the way I would like to, which is to dive in and tackle it all. This business of cleaning a little at a time as the day goes on is just against my nature. I want to do it all at once, and do it thoroughly. It is the perfectionist in me.

This is the worst part. Sometimes I actually feel that I have to choose between the two. Clean babies or clean house? There are some days that I get my house clean at the expense of my kids. And there are a lot of days that I have well kept kids at the expense of my house. It seems either way I go, I am constantly trying to catch up on something.

I have made some progress these last few months, thanks to the motivating forces of Flylady and her system of organization. And I am planning a humongous garage sale soon, which should help. But I still relapse. And I still feel like the girl who missed this very important housekeeping class that all the other girls got to attend. And now that I have revealed my hideous secret, I am convinced that the other moms are going to whisper about me in the next MOPS meeting.


So this desperate housewife wants to know. How do you do it? Am I alone in this? How do YOU keep it all balanced? I know there are those among you that have menus planned months in advance. How do you stick to the menu, or do you? And how do you keep your home company clean at all times? How do you do it
ALL? Share tips and strategies…or just commiserate with me if you can relate.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um....for the record....NO ONE has it all together!! Even if they look like it, they just haven't admitted it to anyone! :0) This sounds so much like me...glad to know all SAHM's struggle with a balance of playing with our kids & keeping a clean house. I choose my children and when I have a little boost of energy...then my house gets attention!
~Amber Powell (Andrea's cousin)

Randi said...

Amber, I generally choose my kids, too. But when my house is a mess, I am just not as good at mothering. I feel too stressed out. I think we do all struggle with this, but I definitely have room for improvement. Thanks for commenting!

Mandy said...

The only secret is that most SAHMs only clean before someone comes over. At least that's my secret. And, honestly, I have a few friends I don't clean for any more and they have actually told me how great that makes them feel b/c their houses look just like mine (which, at times, is DIRTY, not just messy or disorganized).

Paula said...

Randi-I get the same way when my house is super messy. I get all nervous and grumpy.
One thing that helps me is when I lay in bed at night and i worry about something that didnt get done..I tell myself "my one goal tomorrow is..." Usually its to put a load of laundry away or just something "extra" than the normal "put everything away" cleaning.
Another thing I do is I leave a laundry basket in the hallway between the boys' bedrooms...and throughout the day I throw their toys, pajamas, etc in them.
I only do deep cleaning when I have big groups of company or host something. Meaning there is almost always a layer of dust on my furniture. My floors almost always need to be mopped. Tucker misses the toilet most of the time, so their bathroom stinks.

I vacuum 3 times a week simply because its easier to vacuum crushed pretzals and dog hair than to pick it up.

We pick up the living room and bedrooms every night, but there are lots of things that dont get done.

The other day I thought to myself "a messy house either means Im being lazy or that me and my kids had ALOT of fun." That being said, dont beat yourself up if your house is a wreck. Sit down and make a mess with your girls...the mess can wait. Rylie will be going to kindergarten sooner than you know it and you'll WISH she was home messing up your house!

Andrea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrea said...

I'm in the same boat. My house isn't "dirty" and if it is IT (crushed snacks, diapers that never made it to the trash, hidden sippy cups, etc.) usually gets picked up that evening. However, I feel like I go in circles picking up clutter! Right now I am trying something with my laundry...I do one or two loads a day and my goal is to get them washed, dried, and put away in one day. That way I have accomplished one thing and it is manageable enough that I can almost always do it. Something else that helps me is to not have dirty dishes. My sink almost constantly has dishes in them but it makes me feel so much better if they are rinsed off first and not sitting there with food on them! I am terrible about dusting...that only gets done about once a month. OKAY, so that could have been a post in itself!

Randi said...

Thanks for your comments! I wish that more Moms were able to just be real about the state of their house and not pretend to have it all together. I hate the feeling of judgment that I get from these kind of moms, (real or imagined). Paula, love the tip about the laundry basket in the hallway. I think I will borrow that. After reading all of your comments, I feel so much better now. Thanks for reading!

Donna said...

Randi, That post is so funny! and the
Moms are right, no one has it all together. Remember the La Leche thing, "people are more important that things"
In just a few years, you will have a clean house because your kids will be grown. so don't sweat the mess. I love it when I have a pretty clean house, my grandkids some over, we play, read, eat, then I get to enjoy the pretzels, the handprints, the toys, I love it all over again!

Mandy said...

I've had a load of laundry to fold sitting on the couch since Monday (the cats have taken to sleeping on the pile). And all the laundry baskets are full of clean clothes to fold. Spencer has two sets of dirty sheets sitting on his toy box to wash and I can't even open up my bathroom door all the way b/c of the laundry piled everywhere.

Know what I did today? Went to the park. ;-)

Randi said...

Mandy and Donna, so true. I know that I will not regret a day that I played with my kids instead of cleaning. And Donna, glad you enjoyed it!
I guess I am feeling silly for writing this post, as I maybe come off sounding a bit, um...desperate? Some of that was a little tongue-in-cheek, and some of it was just to be dramatic. I don't cry because my house is dirty. I don't have anxiety attacks over it. I do get a bit stressed when it is in complete chaos and I can't clean it because the kids need me, but that's okay. It's part of the job. I just want to know how other women manage.
Also, I have this chronic condition that forces me to compare myself to other women (especially the ones who seem to have it all together). It's called insecurity. I am in recovery.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I never have it all together. It seems I go in spurts where I do better than others, but those times seem rare.

Thank you for your comment today! It was very appreciated. Nice to meet you!

becky said...

oh randi, your writing is so good! and funny! i look forward to motherhood but i'm also terribly nervous. your posts let me know that everyone struggles with it. thank you. and your girls are precious.