Valentine’s Day, the dreaded holiday. I used to abhor it, but I have grown to appreciate it. Parenthood helps. I am able to do away with ridiculous expectations and make it a simple and festive celebration for my kids, all paper hearts and cupid’s bows. This year was a great one. Greg bought fun gifts for the girls and thoughtful ones for me. Saturday we were able to escape for a lovely and rare date night. But perhaps the best gift of all came late Sunday morning, as I was allowed the indulgence of a very long, leisurely soak in our giant bathtub. Alone. No interruptions. Plenty of hot water. Do I need to tell you how fabulous this was? No, you probably get it. But I am going to tell you anyway. In verse.
I must preface this with a warning. I am not a poet and I think I can safely promise to never post another poem, but I hope the moms out there can enjoy this one.
Ode to My Bathtub
You give me such joy, with your help I relax
And escape all the noise to simply soak
And untax.
I may stay here hours as toes become pruney
For without you I am desolate, I am stressed.
I am loony.
The sound of the jets rushing the basin
The steam and the suds, a good novel,
Amazing.
I may hear a baby crying, a tantrum or two.
The sound is quite distant.
All thanks to you.
Besides, I am confident that husband can handle
What mischief may arise.
Let us light another candle!
You are my solace, my refuge, the haven I seek.
Indeed, you may be all the “me” time I have
In a week.
So in honor of you, my companion, dear friend,
In said tub I shall steep and
Read this book till the end.
Monday, February 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment